Software asset management refers to “the entire process from purchase of software to sustained post management.” Generally, it is easy to think of software asset management as post management, but, because it is necessary to survey whether the software to be purchased is in stock, recognize the terms of agreement, make selection according to the demand of the items to be purchased, and adjust the purchasing quantity accordingly in order to purchase software, one can say that the scope of software asset management is the entire process that includes purchasing.
“Software asset management refers to all infrastructure and process required for effective control and protection of software asset over the entire life cycle of the software of an organization. (from SAM contents of ITIL)
“It must be performed as an indispensable part of the general strategy for information system management for the purpose of attaining the objective of an organization which must be operated at the top level.” (from contents asserting the need for software asset management of BSI other than FAST)
“Software asset management can meet the requirements of the company administration structure, effectively support the general management of information system service, and can realize the achievement of risk management, cost control, and competitive advantage.” (from the contents of ISO/IEC 19770-1 which is the international standard of software asset management)
We can recognize the anticipatory effect of efficient software asset management based on the case study of developed countries which lead the field of software asset management. We can acquire various tangible/intangible effects via not only efficient asset management tools but also demonstration effect and systematic administration.
The effects of software asset management can be summarized as follows.
Business risk reduction
- - Risk of suspension of information system work
- - Risk of injury to information asset
- - Legal risk
- - Risk of injuring image
- - Economic risk
- - Strategic plan and operation
- - Economic software purchase
- - Advantageous position for price negotiation
- - Reduce hardware expenditure
- - Reduce asset management expenditure
- - Reduction in problem solving expenditure
- - Accurate decision making
- - Prompt work support
Improve industrial competitiveness
- - Develop a framework of enhancing national software industry and active cultivation at the governmental level
- - The creation of accommodation based on establishment of a culture of fair use of software will promote the development of highly creative software, and this will contribute by creating a positive effect for the industry in general beginning with the software industry, and so on